The Health Effects of Mold in Children

It is a documented fact that buildings that are damp and containing mold and mildew are likely to cause a 30 to 50% in respiratory problems and other related medical concerns. The elderly, children, pregnant women and those with asthma or auto immune conditions are at greatest risk for mold related medical conditions. Visit moldremoval.org for a complete list of videos and articles regarding mold and your indoor air quality.

 The term mold is an all-encompassing term used to describe the growth of fungi. They are over 300,000 thousands of different species of mold some are harmful and some are not.  Black mold or toxic mold goes by the scientific name Stachybotrys Chartarum. Black mold need moisture and a food supply to grow and spread it toxic spores. Colors range from a slimy green when wet to greenish blackish splotches dried and it usually grows in a circular pattern.

Children are the most vulnerable to the harmful effects of exposure to black mold as they are least aware of the problems it can cause. There have been several documented cases of serious black mold health problems in children particularly infants. The symptoms of toxic mold exposure are quite similar to the symptoms in adults which may include Chronic Sinus infections. Cough that progressive to wheezing or asthma, sneezing fits, unexplained fevers, eye problems such as itchy eyes, runny eyes, blurred vision, and extra sensitivity to light, rashes and irritations to  the skin, sore throat, headaches, to other long lasting flu like symptoms.


For infants and children you can have fatal complications from bleeding into the lungs. With children their immune is developing from birth to adolescence and requires a natural physiological stimulation with antigens as well as inflammatory agents. When you have a foreign body inhaled like mold spores this will increase the risk for abnormal reactions which are typically seen in your respiratory systems.

Prevention and early diagnosis is the best way for a successful outcome for all exposed and the structure of your property. Billions of dollars are spent on medical bills and structural repairs from damages caused by toxic mold. Inspect your property on a regular basis for any signs of mold and mildew. Mold testing that is performed by a certified industrial hygienist or mold tester is the best way to get an overview of the air you are breathing. The professional will conduct a visual inspections evaluating your humidity level and looking for any signs of mold or mildew. They will conclude by taking several air and surface samples of both inside and outside your property which will be sent to a certified lab for analysis.


In many cases your symptoms fail to improve and they actually get worse despite medical treatment. Your primary health care provider will refer you to a pulmonary specialist or infectious disease doctor for a consultation. One of the first things they will suggest is testing for mold allergies.  Once you have all the test results the mystery can be solved and make appropriate steps to have any toxic mold discovered removed by a certified remediation company.

Be Sociable, Share!
This entry was posted in Mold, Mold Symptoms and tagged , on by .

About Joe Akin

Joe Akin : Since 2008 Joe has been working as the social media coordinator for Moldremoval.com. As a Registered Nurse his medical knowledge has provided many benefits to contractors and the general public who has questions regarding their indoor air quality and the impact mold and mildew can have on their health and property. He has written hundreds of articles and edited videos relating to the problems associated with mold, asbestosis and natural disasters. He has traveled extensive visiting and exhibiting in various trade shows supporting indoor air quality. Many of his articles can be found at moldremoval.com, moldremoval.org and moldremoval.net. His passion continues to be that prevention, awareness, and early detection is the best solution to keeping you and your family safe.